Hazardous Area Intrinsically Safe Pneumatic Solenoid Friction-Free Valves
Common applications for Expo’s friction-free valves include:
- Infrequently operated valves: as valve doesn’t stick;
- Emergency shutdown systems – when the valve “must work”;
- High frequency cycling: fast response due to low inertia;
- Long control loops: due to low current required to drive the valve;
Intrinsically Safe Pneumatic Solenoid Valves
These valves are intrinsically safe. These valves cannot ignite a flammable atmosphere, by a spark or hot surface.
The valves are intrinsically safe, because they consume so little electrical power either during operation or under fault conditions, and are certified to:
- Certified FM/USA Class I Div 1, Groups A, B, C, D – dependent on barriers used;
- ATEX to EN 50020 II 1 GD EEx ia IIC T6;
- ATEX to EN 50021. II 3G EEx na IIC T6 or T4;
- PTB to VDE 0171 Ex is (Zone 1 & 2) G4, G5.
Why Expo’s Valves are friction-free, low inertia, low current and don’t stick
Expo’s friction free valves contain large-area, suspended poppets. The movement is small. Hence our valves are friction-free, consume little power and deliver high reliability. Our friction free valves comprise three sections:
- Electrical: Solenoid Operation Cap and Connector;
- Pneumatic: Valve module section;
- Pneumatic Connection Block: Port block or manifold.
Benefits of Intrinsically-Safe Pneumatic Solenoid Friction-Free Valves
Freedom from sticking: >100 million cycles, under standard conditions:
- Equates to 1 cycle/minute until the year 2200;
- Highly reliable;
- Lower maintenance costs.
Low- power consumption: due to friction-free design:
- 0.15 – 0.4 Watts power consumption at 14-24 volts nominal voltage;
- 1.3 Watts power consumption at 110v;
- 2.4 Watts power consumption at 220/240 volts.
Fast, positive equipment control:
- 3 port 2 position typically operates within 70ms;
- 4 port 2 position typically operates with 100ms.
Easy, Fast Installation:
- NAMUR adapter plates as standard.
Drive up to 4 solenoids
- Use only one I.S. (intrinsically safe) interface.
AC or DC operation.
- Built-in bridge rectifier;
- Zero back e.m.f spikes.
Options for Hazardous Area Pneumatic Solenoid Friction-Free Valve
Indicators: Easier plant set-up, as indicators “prove” circuit. Superior plant control, as visual indicator on sequential plant control.
- Manual “latch on” indicator;
- LED energized indicators.
Manual reset: Require operator reset after valve “trip”. Reset located on:
- Remotely piped.
Common Pneumatic Valve Functions, handle a wide range of inlet pressures:
- 2 port 2 position normally closed: Range 2-9 bar
- 3 port 2 position normally closed: Range 2-9 bar.
- 3 port 2 position normally open: Range 4-7 bar
- 4 port 2 position: Range 4-7 bar.
- 4 port 3 position: Range 2-7 bar.
- Double 3 port 2 position in one valve module: Range 4-7 bar
- Manual “latch on”;
- LED energized.
Low Temperature operation:
- Standard: -10ºC to +65 ºC, +14ºF to +150ºF;
- Low Temperature: -20ºC to +65º C, –4ºF to 150ºF.
Pilot supply and low pressure valves.
Manifolds: All common exhaust and supply options.
Specifications for Hazardous Area Pneumatic Solenoid Friction-Free Valves
- 4 bar inlet pressure, unrestricted outlet: 821 litres/min, 29 scfm;
- 6 bar inlet pressure, unrestricted outlet: 1175 litres/min, 41.5 scfm.
Air quality: Expo’s friction-free, intrinsically safe valves do not require high quality compressed air. They just require:
- Filtration better than 50 micron particle size.
- Dew point below expected ambient temperature.
- Lubricated air not required, but not detrimental.
Hazardous Area Pneumatic Solenoid Friction-Free Valve.
Intrinsically Safe Friction Pneumatic Solenoid Friction Free Valve Manual
- ATEX Ex i Hazardous Area Pneumatic Solenoid Friction-Free Valve
- FM Approval Solenoid Operator Type J & K
We’d like to earn your business
We’d be delighted to discuss your requirements. For
- North America contact Matthew Dudones;
- Rest of World contact Mike O’Neill.