Working with a leading high voltage motor manufacturer to develop motor purges for challenging conditions
The client is a leading manufacturer of high voltage electric motors, based in Korea, and specialising in oil & gas, power generation, and steel manufacture. They contacted Expo because of the challenging nature of this application.
To develop an upgraded version of Expo's standard D760 Low Temperature Motor Purge system for a gas compressor application where local conditions might prove challenging for the standard Expo system. A total of 6 systems were required.
- Very low temperature ambient conditions
- The on-site instrument air supply suffered from intermittent low-pressure issues
- Stringent regulations within the EAC certification system requiring certified metrology equipment
- Building on the standard D760 system, Expo sourced equivalent pressure gauges and temperature sensors that carried EAC certification in line with the appropriate technical regulation (TR-CU). This created a new EAC variant that fully met the local requirements.
- One of the systems was extensively tested across a range of instrument air pressures and the performance was found to be within spec. based on the characteristics of the local air supply. This permitted Expo to provide a declaration that the systems would perform as required.
Expo products and services
- An extensive range of standard motor purge systems provides a solid platform for customisation to meet challenging applications
- A deep understanding of purge and pressurization, and its application to large electric motors
- Design & engineering capability to source and integrate new special components
- Consultancy services to evaluate system performance