Working with a customer in the Czech Republic to develop a large format display screen system for hazardous areas
While small format display screens are available certified for hazardous area use, such as work stations, larger displays suitable for sharing information across wider manufacturing areas are not readily available.
Design, build & certify a simple 43" dual-monitor display with IP66 protection for installation in a Zone 2 process area.
- Ventilation of standard monitors to make them suitable for purge & pressurization in line with the appropriate standard (EN 60079-2)
- Thermal calculations to check that the monitors would stay within their normal operating temperature range, to ensure long term operation
- Design of pressurisable enclosure with large transparent viewing areas
- Large 2.4m x 1.0m x 0.3m enclosure subdivided into two parts by an internal partition - each part housing one 43" monitor with its power supply. The internal partition not only added strength to the enclosure but also allowed compliance with Expo's populated enclosure certificate (which limits the maximum window size per enclosure).
- Type Z purge and pressurization system providing series purge to the 2 sections of the enclosure
- Additional ventilation of the monitor housings to meet the purge standard criteria
- Wall mounting with additional spacers to ensure the rear of the enclosure contributed to the required heat dissipation. No additional cooling was required in this case.
- ATEX Zone 2 populated certificate for the completed system
Expo Products and Services
- Custom enclosure design & manufacture
- Type Z purge system & relief valve in series purge configuration
- Expo Engineering & Consultancy support