Multi-party collaboration to install & commission motor purge systems and controls enclosures at an oil import terminal
Overview & Project Brief
The client is a multinational oil and gas company. An expansion at an oil importation terminal required multiple new large electric motors and control systems, all suitable for use in a Zone 2 hazardous area. This case study describes the collaboration between the motor & pump OEMs, the client, and Expo, working with its local channel partner, to manufacture & commission multiple systems.
- Four large motors that required high-capacity purge and pressurization systems
- Space limitations for 10 control enclosures required for operating & monitoring the equipment
- Specific project requirements on paint finish for a corrosive coastal environment
- INMETRO & IECEx certification was required for the completed systems
- Navigating & ensuring the best outcome from a multi-party collaboration
- Working with the motor OEM, Expo selected the appropriate large purge & pressurization systems.
- Expo provided design consultancy and engineering services to support the local manufacture of 10 large Ex p enclosures by our channel partner.
- The custom stainless-steel enclosures were designed with a special pocket door to give easy access to the HMI and painted with the client's proprietary colour. Each was fitted with an Expo Z-purge system.
- The channel partner, with Expo support, provided the customer commissioning services for both the motor systems and the enclosures.
- In addition to IECEx, the Expo products already carried INMETRO certification, fully documented in both English and Portuguese, simplifying the INMETRO certification for both the motors and populated control enclosures.
- The channel partner contracted with the client to provide equipment maintenance services.
Expo products and services
- 4 off large motor purge & pressurization systems
- Custom enclosure design & service
- Expo consultancy & certification services
- 10 off Exp Z-purge systems